Lemon oil is a very diverse oil, as well as being one of the cheapest and best smelling of essential oils. (For those reasons alone it is one of my favorite oils!) Lemon oil consists of 68% d-Limonene , a powerful antioxidant that has been proven to help with digestion, metabolism, detoxification, anxiety, and breast cancer prevention.
Here are just a few ways you can use lemon oil:
1. Lemon essential oil can be used in a steam inhalation treatment for wheezing, colds, cough, and other upper respiratory problems. Note: If you suffer from asthma, you should not utilize this procedure. To take a steam inhalation treatment with lemon essential oil, fill a large bowl or pan with boiling hot water and add a few drops of lemon essential oil. Place your head over the bowl with a towel over your head and the bowl, in a tent-like fashion so that no steam escapes. Take a few slow and deep breaths, inhaling the vapors deeply for a couple minutes.
2. Because lemon has strong disinfectant properties, it is a great oil to add to water in a spray bottle and use as a cheap, effective cleanser and air freshener! Take note: citrus oils can erode plastic over time, so if you are not going to use the cleanser up in a couple days, you may want to consider storing this particular cleaning solution in a glass spray bottle.
3. If you are prone to kidney stones, you definitely want to be drinking a few drops of lemon oil in a glass of water everyday! Not only can lemon oil help prevent the formation of kidney stones, it also helps to round out any jagged stones you already have so that when you pass the stones it won’t be nearly as uncomfortable.
4. Use 1–2 drops to remove gum, oil, grease, grease spots, glue and adhesives, and crayon from most surfaces. Tip: try a test area before to make sure you won’t ruin any finishes.
5. Heartburn is the worst! It is most often the result of acid reflux; that is, stomach acid rising up the esophagus where it irritates the lining. Lemon essential oil (which comes from the rind, not the pulp) is one of the best remedies for heartburn, as it causes the stomach to stop excreting digestive acids. Simply add a drop or two of lemon oil to a small glass of water and drink.
6. To clean and increase shelf life of fresh fruit, fill a bowl with cool water and add 2 – 3 drops of lemon oil. Drop cleaned fruit into water and stir, making sure to coat all surfaces of the fruit with lemon water.
7. Lemon oil can help to heal calluses, corns, and warts. Just put a drop of oil on the desired (or undesired:) area each day until the callus, corn, or wart is gone.
8. Freshen your breath with lemon oil! Add a drop to a couple ounces of water and gargle. The disinfectant properties are great for killing germs in the mouth and for neutralizing bad odors.
9. All citrus oils help are mood enhancers as well. So the next time you’re feeling down, anxious, or just low energy – put a few drops of lemon oil into your Young Living home diffuser and diffuse away!
(Both the diffuser and a 5 ml bottle of lemon oil are included in the Premium Starter Kit. Click “Order Oils” here to learn more)
For a short video on the benefits and uses of lemon oil, watch my friend Bobbi in the below video.